[EM] SNTV and Bottoms Up and Lowering the Numbers

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Tue Oct 19 04:53:44 PDT 1999

Greetings,

     I was thinking that this action of a group lowering the number of
votes they place on each of their candidates should also been happening in
election methods like Single Non-Transferable Vote(SNTV) and Bottoms
Up(Alternative Vote when used to elect multi members).

     Has anyone read anything which tells of the voters taking this action
of lowering the numbers of votes in Japan(SNTV) or Australia(Bottoms Up)??

     These two methods do favor the smaller groups over the largest,
because there is no credit for any surplus votes over a Droop Quota.

     I agree with Tom when he wrote that small parties should be treated
equally with the larger parties but no more than that.
     The only way this can be determined is to take a look at the final
results of an election. Each group should have received its just share of
members in the election. A 22 percent group should have elected 22 members
out of 100. A 51 percent group should have elected 51 members out of 100,
etc.

     I would expect the two methods, SNTV and Bottoms Up, would short
change the larger groups, while STV will short change the smaller groups.
     None of these method will give every group its just representation.

Regards,
Donald

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald