[EM] Droop fails the Markus Schulze Rule

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Fri Oct 15 17:07:00 PDT 1999

Greetings,

Markus Schulze wrote:
     "I think, that the aim of proportional representation is to minimize
the number of the wasted votes."

Donald:  I liked this statement so much that I decided to make it a rule -
I call it The Markus Schulze Rule.

     This statement is another real truism of the proportional
representation movement.

     Now, the question is: How well will Hare STV and Droop STV live up to
the Markus Schulze Rule?
     It is best to use Ideal Conditions when we compare the two. Ideal
Conditions are when there are enough informed choices made by the voters so
that no ballot becomes exhausted.
     This may never happen in a real election, but it is mathematically
possible.

     Anyway, the Hare STV election will not have any wasted votes. Every
ballot will end up on one or another of the winning candidates. Each
elected member will have received the same number of votes - an equal part
of the total votes.
     The Droop STV election will not fare as well. The Droop will produce
one quota of wasted ballots.

        <B> Droop fails the Markus Schulze Rule. </B>

     Also, while the elected members will all have the same number of
votes, the amount will not be an equal part of the total votes.
     Now, I am not suggesting that the last Droop quota be transferred - no
way am I saying that.
     I am saying that the Droop is a fraud and should be discarded before
we even start the count.

Regards,
Donald

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald