[EM] 3 Choices

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 05:07:58 PDT 1999

For the benefit of newer EM folks, I mention again that apparently ALL
methods have problems with sincere versus insincere votes when there 3 or
more choices (especially due to having divided majorities).

"Sincere Votes" example using YES votes and head to head number votes.
One executive officer to be elected.
25 AB
26 BA
49 C

100 total

Both A and B have YES majorities. B would beat A with all sincere votes.

Presumably a pre-election poll showing that the A and B folks have a majority
might cause some of the C voters to insincerely vote for the lesser of the
perceived evils using number votes on election day.

Thus, I mention again (and again) that an election method must work on the
votes cast on election day (and not replays with more or less voters or
choices).  Presumably some of the voters in a Droop Quota minority will vote
for the lesser of the perceived evils.