[EM] Entrenching PR in the Constitution

Crabb, Deane (PIRSA) Crabb.Deane at saugov.sa.gov.au
Tue Oct 5 20:33:57 PDT 1999

I get Hansard for the Australian Parliament.  As this is always slow in
coming and then I need to find time to "read" it, I am often very much
behind the times!!

However in reading the Senate proceedings for August 24, I was very
interested in Senator Len Harris (the new One Nation Senator from
Queensland) introducing a Bill to entrench proportional representation as
the method of choosing Senators.

Was anyone else aware of this?  Has anyone dealt with Senator Harris (he has
only recently been added to the mailing list for the Proportional
Representation Society of Australia's publication "Quota Notes")?  Whoever
is assisting him needs to be congratulated.

Deane Crabb
Electoral Reform Society of South Australia