[EM] Need for proportional representation

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 1 04:12:56 PDT 1999

Dear DEMOREP1 at aol.com,

I haven't yet understood how you circumvent the Banzhaf Paradox?

[For those who don't know what Proxy Voting is: The Banzhaf Paradox says
that -if the members of a committee have different numbers of votes- then
the real voting power of a committee member can differ extremely from his
nominal voting power.
Example: A has 37 votes, B has 30 votes, C has 21 votes, D has 12 votes.
Then A, B, and C have the same voting power because every proposal needs
the approval of only two of them. D has no voting power.]

Markus Schulze