[EM] Two New STV Features - New to Me; Exhausted votes

Craig Carey research at ijs.co.nz
Sun Nov 21 21:44:32 PST 1999

Mr Donald Davison wrote this towards Mr Catchpole, referring to STV:

At 02:54 21.11.99 , Donald E Davison wrote:
>David Catchpole wrote: "That's Droop with the addition of districts-
>     You are in error, ... It is not Hare that can do the same, it is
>the exhausted ballots that can cause candidates to be elected with less
>than a quota in either Hare or a Droop election.
>
>     The only proper way to compare Hare to Droop is to conduct any test
>without exhausted ballots.

The following message attempts to uncover the idea of an "exhausted ballot".

In a 26 September 1999 Mr Davison sent in a message replying to
 "Steve". The message, reproduced in full below, comments on a what
 happened in the third stage of the "European Parliamentary Election for
 3 MEPs in the Northern Ireland Electoral Region, held on
 Thu, 10 Jun 1999".

I attempt in this message to show what Mr Donald Davison means by the
 words "exausted ballots", and why they are bad and why voters need to
 fill in a full paper rather than STV being amended or improved, or a
 better version being selected.

The September 1999 message by Mr Donaldson, is about how the transfer
 values that are calculated by this formula:

   the surplus divided by the number of transferable votes

It is more common in STV methods, for the transfer value to be calculated
 by this:

   the surplus divided the voting papers.

The message being replied to is about the transfer in the 3rd stage
 of the votes owned by Ian Paisley.

Ian Paisley's surplus was stated to be 23,059; the first preference
 votes were said to be 192,762; and the transferrable votes were
 said to be 158,539. There were therefore 34,223 non-transferable votes.
 The transfer was noted to be 0.14. Note that
 (23,059/158,539) = 0.145446.

The transfer value ought be nearer 1 unless it were an aim to reduce the
 power of votes to affect outcomes during transfers.

Mr Davison wrote this:

>     If this were a normal STV election, the second order of business after

...  the transfer value would equal 0.1196242 ...

>     But, this is not a normal STV election. In this election the transfer
>value was increased to 0.14, this results in less votes being exhausted and
>more votes being transferred.
>     The mind set of the people in charge of the North Ireland election
>seems to be that if votes cannot be transferred to their intended
>candidates, then the votes are fair game to be transferred to some other
>candidates, even if these other candidates were not preferences on the
>ballots in question.

Mr Davison might have been writing about a STV system that is used
 somewhere else. In Northern Ireland, are transferred to the candidates
 marked on the papers. That implies that no allegation of a "mind set"
 was successfully made about leaders of Northern Ireland.

Hopefully the "European Parliamentary Election" in Northern Ireland, clips
 the transfer value down to 1.

This is what can go wrong when the transfer value is not clipped down
 to 1. Some papers get too much influence [influence can be said to be their
 ability to counter papers with no 2nd preference]:

STV, two winners, three candidates, A and C win:

    A 670
    AC 10
    B 320

   Total = 1000
   Quota = 333.33 (approx)
   The surplus for A = (680-333.33) = 346.67
   Transferable votes = 10
   Transfer value = (Surplus divided by Transferable votes) = 34.667
   The AC papers then are made to have the weight 346.67.
   The transfer occurs

    B 320
    C 346.67

   The winners are A and C.

Note: Find the 2 IFPP winners of this 2 winner election:

    A 670
    AC 10
    B 320

If the system was IFPP, then the election would proceed this way:

    C   -0
    B -320
    A -670
    AC -10

B can win since its -320 exceeds the 1/3 quota which is -333.33..., so
 the Alternative Vote is applied inm this case, and the winner is C,
 so the two winners of the original 2 winner problem are A and B.

Condorcet can be imagined to have transfer values, and those values
 would be 0 or 1. The value 0.14 is a better transfer value than 0.11,
 say.

At 00:48 26.09.99 , Donald E Davison wrote:
> [...]
>designed to simplify and speed up the count.
>- - - - - - - end of part one - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>Donald: I have long argued that it is possible to eliminate more than one
>candidate at one time in the run-off routine of election methods like STV
>and/or Alternative Vote, as long as the total votes, of the eliminated
>candidates, is less than the votes of the next lowest candidate.
>     It did not occur to me to eliminate candidates before the transfer of
>Surplus Votes, but it can be done and it has been done in this real
>election.
>     The math that allows this to be done is as follows:
>
>       Lowest Candidates            Votes
>     1st Lowest, Anderson             998
>     2nd Lowest, Neeson            14,391
>     3rd Lowest, McCartney         20,283
>     4th Lowest, Ervine            22,494
>     Surplus Votes of Hume         21,028
>     Surplus Votes of Paisley      23,059
>                                 --------
>                   Total          102,253
>     5th Lowest, McLaughlin       117,643
>
>     The total of the votes of the four lowest candidates plus the surplus
>votes of Hume and Paisley is an amount that is less than the votes of
>McLaughlin, the next and 5th lowest candidate.
>     It is mathematically impossible for any one of the four lowest
>candidates to be able to surpass McLaughlin in votes, even if one of the
>four were to receive all the votes from the other three plus all the
>surplus votes. Therefore, it is acceptable to eliminate these four
>candidates before the transfer of surplus votes. Doing so reduces the math
>of this election.
>
>     We cannot eliminate the fifth lowest candidate, McLaughlin, because
>the new total, which includes his votes, is larger than the votes of the
>sixth lowest candidate, Nicholson.
>
>                   Total          102,253
>     5th Lowest, McLaughlin       117,643
>                                  -------
>                   Total          219,896
>     6th Lowest, Nicholson        119,507
>
>     While I accept the eliminations of the four lowest candidates before
>the transfer of surplus votes, I cannot accept what happens next.
>
>- - - - - - - - Part Two Forwarded - - - - - - - - - - - -
>3rd Stage - Transfer of Paisley's Surplus:
>E2  Hume                               190,731
>    McLaughlin                32.90    119,384.90   Runner-up
>E3  Nicholson             22,162.56    184,789.56
>E1  Paisley              -23,059.00    169,703
>      Non-transferable       863.54     14,200.54
>                                       ----------
>      TOTALS                           678,809
>
>Northern Ireland rules (manual count)
>Count commenced at 0900 hrs on 14 Jun 1999
>Count completed at 1930 hrs on 14 Jun 1999
>Comment--
>The quota is: Valid votes 678,809/(3 + 1 = 4) = 169,702.25 = 169,703.
>Rev. Ian Paisley's surplus was transferred at the 3rd Stage as follows:
>     Surplus of 23,059, divided by the number of first preference
>votes he received (192,762) = 0.119624199
  The transfer value of his

Mr G. A. Craig Carey, research at ijs.co.nz
Auckland, New Zealand.
Snooz Metasearch: <http://www.ijs.co.nz/info/snooz.htm>