Smallest Change for Greatest Improvement

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed May 19 18:39:31 PDT 1999

Mr. Eppley wrote in part-

It's easy for voters to miscalculate with Approval systems.
Suppose there are three alternatives, and alternative C is
the *last* choice of a majority.  But the majority is split
on its first choice:

   30%:  A > B >> C
   25%:  B > A >> C
   45%:  C >> B > A

   I've used the symbol '>>' to indicate where voters might
   be predisposed to draw the line between "approving" or
   "disapproving."  This doesn't consider strategic voting.

Unless they have enough pre-election polling data and
organization to strategize, some of the majority may fail to
select a second choice for fear of unnecessarily defeating
their favorite.  When that happens, both A and B can lose.

Also, even when the majority succeeds in defeating C, it's
clear from the above that though B has more support than A,
B may have a slim chance of being elected, unless the C voters
have the ability and polling data to strategize (select B).
----
D- This too is deja vu.

The A, B, C example is the standard divided majority example.

There obviously will be polling before an election using any method whatever.
  I mention again, a method operates on the votes cast (not an infinite
replays of an election- especially with voters dying, moving, getting
disinterested, etc.).

Only A and B are approved by a majority (55%) (using the >>).  Thus, some of
the C voters might choose to approve A or B using the polling info.

It has been repeatedly mentioned on this list that simple Approval Voting is
defective (especially if a first choice had a majority (if number votes were
used)).

51 K M
49 M

M gets 100 using simple Approval.

However, AV does produce choices that have majority approval (to get rid of
minority rule pluralities) (especially in emergency elections and in
elections with illiterate voters).

Since number votes will be used in almost all p.r. systems for legislative
bodies, there will be immediate pressure to have number votes for single
choice elections (i.e. executive and judicial offices and issue elections).
I note that Wales and Scotland in the U.K. just had p.r. elections and
continue to survive.