(P1) defined

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Wed Dec 15 21:59:02 PST 1999

Mr. Carey wrote-

I can't imagine proponents of STV finding a lot of merit in the
 "clones" ideas  that paird of two preferences have the same order
 or both are reversed but it is not that case that one is permuted
 and the other isn't.
---
D- In my earlier Re: FPTP family theory, REDLOG shadowing posting, I wrote in
part-

Adding D-- a 100 percent clone of B

34 A>B>D>C
33 B>D>C>A
32 C>A>B>D

[99 B > 0 D]
-----
In reality land some folks will likely rank D before B (especially Voter D
and his/her friends and relatives !!!).

Thus the clone range will be--

All voters for choice X > 0 voters for choice Y to--
Bare majority of total voters for choice X > largest minority of total voters
for choice Y (with a possible tie with an even number of voters).

There is some probability math near the tie case-- but "majority rule" is a
rather elementary criteria.   Larger majorities are more probably "correct"
than smaller majorities (as observed by Condorcet some 210 years ago).

Even in the Total Voters X > 0 Y case, one cannot tell by simple number
ranking whether or not the Y choice is a copy of the X choice (with a minor
style difference) or a major opposite of the X choice.

As I have mentioned many times, number rank voting does not show approval of
any choice.   A second intensity vote is necessary such as-- a plus 100
percent to minus 100 percent scale vote on each choice by each voter or a
simple YES or NO vote on each choice (along with the number rank voting).