[EM] Recall of a lawmaker member.

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Wed Dec 1 04:48:46 PST 1999

Greetings,                                      12/01/99

      I do not write much about recall because it is not easy to fit it
into an election method. At times I find I must make changes to the method
in order to fit in recall, I do not like to do that.

      In MMP the mechanics of recalling the district member is easy. The
majority in the district can recall the one member, but how do we recall
the list member?

     In STV, we cannot allow the majority to recall members, because each
member was elected by only a certain quota of voters, and only those voters
have the right to recall a certain member.
     The way this should be done is to have a special STV recall election
that is for only the sitting members - all the sitting members. Require
some majority of the quota - like fifty-five percent - or more. Any member
that receives less than this majority is recalled.
     This may seem unfair to put the other members at risk, but the voters
can take this point into consideration when they sign the petition that
calls for a new election.

     Those that want recall as an option should consider it when they are
discussing the size of districts. Smaller districts will require fewer
sitting members to face re-election in the event a recall election is ever
held.

     When voters are dissatisfied with their council they usually want to
recall most if not all the council members - so a petition for a new
election of all is not extreme.  We the electors are the employers - the
politicians are the employees.  If we wish to change or re-arrange our
employees, that is our right.

     There will be less need for a recall election if the voters gain the
power to void measures passed by the council. I feel that this is the best
way to make the council more accountable. This power is called for in
Direct Democracy.
     In most cases of disagreement, the people will be more willing to
change a council decision than change the council.

Regards,
Donald

   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
   |                         Q U O T A T I O N                         |
   |  "Democracy is a beautiful thing,                                 |
   |       except that part about letting just any old yokel vote."    |
   |                            - Age 10                               |
   +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

                            N E W S L E T T E R

                    Worldwide Direct Democracy Newsletter
                     Four Issues per Year by Postal Mail
             Cost per year: Czech Republic 200 Kc,  Europe 12 DM
                          Outside of Europe  $10

              Make check payable to: Mr. Bohuslav Binka
              Mail to:  Mr. Bohuslav Binka
                        Bellova 15
                        Brno 623 00
                        Czech Republic
                         N E W    D E M O C R A C Y
              A Source of Study Material for Political Change

                        http://www.mich.com/~donald