[EM] Fixed Terms

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 25 21:17:16 PDT 1999

(PS Blake's message includes responses to basically everyone's e-mails,
separated by ------'s. I'm honoured to be at the top)

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Blake Cretney wrote:

> David Catchpole wrote:
>
> > Most of the following responses are not completely connected to PR or to
> > concepts of stability, but I hope they address them.
> >
> > > * Fixed terms
> >
> > Fixed terms are weird ****,
>
> I assumed that the **** was a key to a footnote that would be found
> below justifying this statement.  Couldn't find one though.

They're a bone of contention (what I call weird ****) in modern
constitutional law.

> > and the concept is mooted often for non-PR
> > legislatures.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it obviously has no relevance
> for PR legislatures.

It has relevance for PR legislatures in illustrating that any problem it
seeks to address probably may be found in non-PR legislatures also. The
discussion to some extent is of what would make a PR legislature different
and how this might effect its organisation and operation- and the question
of what reforms are mooted for non-PR legislatures becomes relevant; not
only for this but for considering what the situation is generally for most
legislatures and then how that reflects on PR legislatures. As for the
rest- both my contentions and yours really need empirical evidence to back
them up which I don't have at hand. Maybe for the moment we'll agree to
disagree on principles?

My experience of Israel (and this is the experience of occasionally
turning to the "World" section of the newspaper) is that elections have,
over the long run, been comfortably spaced. I'm not entirely sure of the
patterns during Bibi's big day out.