[EM] Proxy Voting and Conclusive Majority

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Thu Aug 12 13:50:36 PDT 1999

Greetings,  This update contains two topics:
     1) Proxy Voting is unacceptable:
     2) Conclusive Majority aka Super Majority

Donald,
1) Proxy Voting is unacceptable:

Donald Davison responding to George Kokkas

     Proxy Voting is unacceptable.
     If a person is uninformed about candidates and/or issues, that person
should not vote, which means, his vote should not be cast, not even as a
proxy.
     A proxy vote is the same as an uninformed vote. Your friend may be
informed, good for him, but why is he entitled to two or ten or two hundred
or more votes. He is not.

     Consider the following cases:
     Case One: Every voter is well informed about a proposal and they each
cast their own one vote.
     This will be the Best Case Scenario. We cannot do any better than
this. We can expect the best decision and we can use this case as a
standard to judge the following cases.

     Case Two: Only one half of the voters are well informed, but the other
half does not vote on the proposal.
     We can expect the results to be the same as Case One because the same
ratio of Yes-No votes should also be present in the half that votes.

     Case Three: Still only one half of the voters are well informed, but
this time the other half votes anyway.
     We cannot be sure of what may happen. The voting of the uninformed
half will be arbitrary and could make the results go either way.

     Case Four: Still only one half of the voters are well informed, but
this time the other half assigns their votes to proxy holders.
     Again, we cannot be sure of what may happen. The assignment of the
proxies will be arbitrary and could make the results go either way. The
persons that are on one side of the issue may receive the most proxies,
enough to result in a different decision than our best decision of Case
One.

     My conclusion: Case One is the best we can do. Case Two is second
best. Cases three and four cannot be trusted to give us the same results as
Case One. The uninformed votes are an unknown factor, even when they are
turned into proxies.

     This practice of proxies is against the principles of Direct
Democracy. It should not be our intent to make one informed voter more
equal than another informed voter. Can you not see what will happen - we
will have people and parties advertising for proxies. We will have too many
people turning over their votes to proxy holders on a regular basis.
     Let the informed voters make the decision, but with only one vote each.

     Besides, some of you oppose representatives. If so, I should think
that you would also oppose giving your vote to a proxy holder. The intent
is the same - someone else is thinking for your vote.
     Or, is it your intent to be the Proxy Holder??? Maybe this is the
attraction of Proxy Voting - are you looking at this as a way of gaining
more power, without running for office, without working for some real
votes??

Regards,
Donald