[EM] The Most Gain for the Smallest Change

Donald E Davison donald at mich.com
Sun Apr 11 04:41:19 PDT 1999

Greetings Election Methods list,                   April 11 1999

     The question I would like to put to you is: "What is the smallest
change that will yield the most improvement in an election method - for the
size of the change?

     My answer to this question is for us to change the Single Member
District method to a Two Member District method. The voter would still have
only one vote, but the top two candidates would be elected, still using
Plurality. The improvements will be as follows:

     1) More members elected on merit
     2) More proportionality for gender
     3) More proportionality for the two major parties in a district
     4) More proportionality for the two major ethnic or race groups in a
district

     1) You should be able to support the two seat method purely from a
merit standpoint. Consider the real possibility of a single seat district
having only below average candidates running. A below average member is
going to be elected - there is nothing the voters can do about that
happening.
     Suppose an adjacent district has two or more above average candidates
running. Good for that district, but only one is going to become a member.
     Now, when we combine these two districts we allow the voters the
ability to elect two above average members. An improvement in the number of
elected "Members of Merit" by one hundred percent. You should like that,
but it gets better. This same condition can exist with other pairs of
districts. We shall gain more "Members of Merit" in the House.
     The larger the district, the more choices the voters will have, the
more members will be elect by merit.

     2) It is mathematically impossible for both genders to be elected in a
Single Member District. It is the method, not the voters that cause a low
number of women to be elected to Congress - eleven percent. Compare this
number to the percentages we get in Plurality-at-Large elections in which
the number can reach fifty percent for either gender. I am not advocating
the Plurality-at-Large method, but this does show that the voters are
willing to vote for both genders, which means there must be candidates of
merit existing in both genders.

     In a Two Member District, each gender would be able to elect their own
gender. Each gender should have the freedom to elect or not to elect
candidates of their own gender. If both genders had above average qualified
candidates running, then we could expect one of each gender would be
elected. On the other hand, if one gender only had below average candidates
running, I would expect that a member of that gender would not be elected.
Both genders need to have the power to elect their own gender, but I feel
they will still consider the merits of all candidates and if merit is not
there in the candidates of their gender, enough voters will vote for the
other gender to elect the candidate with the highest merit. They will still
consider merit, even if it is not their gender.
     Anyway, any small district should have an even number of seats - the
door must be opened.

     3) The two seat district is also good for other reasons besides
gender. Most districts contain two major parties. The two seat district
would allow both parties to be represented.
     4) And, any district that contains large numbers of two races or two
ethnic groups would also benefit from the two seat district.

     The U.S. Senate can also be elected using Two Member Districts. We can
do this by having both senators in a state elected at the same time. This
turns a state into a Two Member District. Different states can elect their
senators in different years.

     When the proportionality of the districts is improved, then the
proportionality of the entire election area is improved. This small change
will give us a large measure of improvement.

     We do not need a higher math in order to gain a large measure of
improvement, but of course, there are additional changes that can be made
for additional improvement. Changes like the ranking of candidates for use
with Choice Run-Off(Alternative Vote) or Choice Voting(STV). And there is
MMP and my Plans Two and Three. Those can be topics for other discussions,
my point now is that in the public arena, which contains a reluctance to
change, the people may be willing to take the small step from one to two
while they refuse to change to STV with its fractional transfer and run-off
routines.
     A small change for a large measure of improvement is better than no change.

Regards,
Donald