Margins -- Blake is right -- slight amplification (fwd)

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Wed Sep 30 15:27:17 PDT 1998

> >> Not sure what you mean by that; defensive truncation, in VA, makes
> >> it impossible to profit by voting an insincere preference, and
> >> penalizes order-reversal.
> However, if you guess wrong, and you are not the CW, it lowers your
> chance of winning.  It never increases your chance of winning.  The

With any method you lose by guessing wrong. Let's not declare that
to be a special problem of VA :-)

> order reversal strategy, however, can actually defeat an order-reversal
> campaign by saving your candidate, as opposed to getting a third
> candidate elected.  For this reason I do not consider the truncation defensive strategy to be rational, and therefore a more effective
> deterrent than order-reversal.

True enough: VA's defensive truncation doesn't make the CW win. It
merely prevents to order-reversal from happening in the first place,
by deterring it.

And, as I said, Margins' anti-order-reversal strategies actually
make order-reversal safer. That's true, in the A,B,C examples,
if C uses defensive strategy, and it's true if B voters use
the defensive strategy of declaring that they're going to rank
C over A. By so doing, they're inviting A voters to order-reverse
against B.

I don't know if you understand the problem of an anti-order-reversal
strategy that prevents one side from successfully order-reversing,
while laying out a red carpet to invite the other side to order-reverse.

> >> No, truncation has independent significance because it occurs in
> >> all rank-balloting elections, and will surely be common in public
> >> elections. Margins is vulnerable to it, and VA isn't.
> All voters who know how Votes-Against works will use the random-fill
> strategy instead of sincerely or insincerely leaving candidates unranked.
>
> Of course, if a system penalizes voters for leaving candidates unranked,
> doing so will not play a role in successful strategy.  However, those
> voters who catch on to random-fill will not be affected by the penalty.
> In aggregate, there votes will be scored as if they were using Margins.

In a recent series of letters, I told why insincere extension
won't be a real problem with VA.