typo

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Fri Sep 18 20:39:28 PDT 1998

In my most recent message I inadvertently said that
in the Margins method, truncation by some voters can force
other voters to use the defensive strategy of ranking a
less-liked alternative over a more-liked one. Actually,
truncation can only force you to rank a less-liked alternative
_equal to_ a more-liked one. But order-reversal, as I showed
in "Margins, Majority, & Strategy", can force you to rank
a less-liked alternative over a more-liked one. That doesn't
happen in the Votes-Against methods.

I don't know how meaningful it is to say that Margins
meets a Sincere Expression Criterion which Votes-Against
doesn't meet, when Margins requires, as defensive strategy,
the most extreme forms of insincere expression. And when
that isn't the case with Votes-Against.

Mike Ossipoff