Tiebreaker Need

David Marsay djmarsay at dera.gov.uk
Thu Sep 3 08:33:47 PDT 1998

Re:

> Date:          Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:42:22 -0700
> From:          "Blake Cretney" <bcretney at my-dejanews.com>
> Subject:       Re: Tiebreaker Need

FYI:
A. Gibbard Manipulation of Voting Schemes: A general result,
Econometrica 47, 1973

Gibbard discusses randomly choosing a tied option versus randomly
choosing a ballot to break the tie. The former rewards 'rich
parties', in that cloning a candidate increases the chances of one of
the clones being picked.

An alternative would be to eliminate or duplicate a ballot and re-run
the base method (e.g., a variant of Condorcet). This could change the
result completely by changing the result of some pair-wise tie break
(as in Tideman/Shulze). I'd go with Gibbard.

Suggested new criterion: any tie breaking method should not give a
result outside the original tie!