Approval and LO2E

Blake Cretney bcretney at my-dejanews.com
Fri Oct 30 09:24:04 PST 1998

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 18:18:10   Mike Ositoff wrote:

>> I think it's worth pointing out that Approval's LO2E assurance
>> is rather different from the ranked methods'.  That is, in the
>
>I haven't made a secret of that, Blake: Approval doesn't assure
>you that you'll never have strategic need to vote a less-liked
>alternative equal to your favorite--but then neigher does
>Margins :-)

Of course, that isn't what LO2E says.  If I remember, LO2E says
that the majority has a way to prevent the election of a candidate,
without voting insincerely except with respect to this candidate.

>> ranked methods, if there is a candidate ranked last on a majority
>> of ballots, that candidate will lose, and another candidate will
>> win.  In approval, the majority may void the election by doing
>> this.  Voiding the election could be there last choice, even
>> below the candidate they are trying to defeat, but approval
>> doesn't even ask how they feel about this.
>>
>By doing what?? You've got to be more clear about what you mean.
>How would a majority void the election by not voting for some
>particular candidate?

I'm referring to the idea that if no candidate wins a majority "YES"
vote, the election does not produce a winner.  If you don't like the
term "voiding" the election, please suggest a different one.  I
have struggled to find a better term myself.

---
Blake

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums