Shouldn't Talk To Santa Clara?

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Mon Oct 19 18:35:02 PDT 1998

I agree completely with the results stated here. Let me summarize
them, and then copy the post:

Before the Leftist enters, both methods elect either the
Centrist or else the Centrist loses, but his voters have the
power to choose who does win.

After the Leftist enters, IRO is does the same as before, but
Runoff gives it to the Centrist for sure.

***

Now, do you say that's a bad thing, to give it to the Centrist
for sure?

The Centrist is the candidate who'd beat each one of the other
candidates, before or after the entry of the Leftist, in separate
2-candidate elections.

The fact that Runoff elects the Centrist for sure in the 4-candidate
case, but IRO could elect anyone, shows that Runoff, here, is
the method, of those 2 methods, that solidly elects the Condorcet
Winner (candidate who'd beat each one of the others in separate
2-candidate races).

If we fail to elect the Condorcet Winner, then we're going
to have a candidate who has a pairwise majority over the winner,
which means that we have a lot of dissatisfied voters, angry
& cynical voters. That's something to avoid.

Also, say the Centrist voters are equally divided between Liberal
& Conservative, and so the Liberal wins if the Centrist gets
eliminated. In that case, the Conservatives, suspecting that
that will happen, feel compelled to insincerely vote the Centrist
in 1st place, protecting the Condorcet winner, their best compromise
that they can get, to avoid the victory of someone they like
less. This is an example, then, of where IRO violates the
1st Choice Criterion, which says that there should never be
a need for someone to not vote his favorite in 1st place.

Violation of that criterion is, for me, the main reason to
get rid of FPP. Either of the proposed pairwise methods choose
the Centrist. Runoff chooses the centrist reliably in the
4-candidate example. In these examples, Runoff does a better
job of electing the CW than IRO does. That agrees with my
assessment of these methods in the more general kinds of
examples.

Mike Ossipoff