Eliminating the Wrong candidate

Blake Cretney bcretney at my-dejanews.com
Mon Oct 19 08:25:28 PDT 1998

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 11:53:39   New Democracy wrote:

>     What I mean by the "Wrong Candidate" can be best shown by an example.
>Suppose the following count of the first choices:
>     80A  60B  40C  22D
>
>     It is not acceptable to drop candidate C at the same time we drop
>candidate D because the sum of the votes of C and D is greater than the
>votes of candidate B.
>     We do not know how many of the 22 voters of candidate D would vote for
>candidate C in a run-off election, but we must assume that it may be all of
>them.
>     If so, this would give 62 votes to candidate C and move him ahead of B.
>
>     In this example candidate C would be a wrong candidate to be dropped.

So the wrong candidate to be dropped is any candidate that is a possible
IRO winner, based on the first preference votes.

Because you used the possibility of dropping the wrong candidate as a
reason for the superiority of IRO over run-off, I expect you
have some reason to believe these candidates should not be eliminated,
other than the simple fact that this may cause a different result from
IRO.  Could you explain this reason?

Blake

-----== Sent via Deja News, The Discussion Network ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/  Easy access to 50,000+ discussion forums