Eliminating the Wrong candidate

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Sat Oct 17 08:53:39 PDT 1998

Dear Blake Cretney,

     What I mean by the "Wrong Candidate" can be best shown by an example.
Suppose the following count of the first choices:
     80A  60B  40C  22D

     It is not acceptable to drop candidate C at the same time we drop
candidate D because the sum of the votes of C and D is greater than the
votes of candidate B.
     We do not know how many of the 22 voters of candidate D would vote for
candidate C in a run-off election, but we must assume that it may be all of
them.
     If so, this would give 62 votes to candidate C and move him ahead of B.

     In this example candidate C would be a wrong candidate to be dropped.

     The answer is to only drop one candidate before each of a series of
run-off elections until we have a majority winner. I think this is called
Exhaustive Ballots.
     This may result in more than two elections.

     Anyway, Choice Run-Off only drops one candidate at a time which makes
it superior to Top Two Run-Off.

Donald Davison