Approval/Plurality combinations

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Tue Oct 6 17:15:52 PDT 1998

Thanks for re-mailing your message, Demorep.

In your message, you list two major defects of Approval:

1. Approval could defeat a first-choice winner.
2. Approval doesn't guarantee that the winner will have a majority.

I believe the first defect is addressed in the combination methods I
described.  In the runoff method (I should have avoided the term IRO,
since it more closely resembles Runoff) a first-choice majority would
win by the rules of Runoff (although I think I neglected to say so in
the description).  In the Plurality-Approval Hybrid, the Approval count
is ignored (weight factor = 0) whenever there is a first-choice
majority.

As for the second defect, I don't think any method can guarantee a
majority of sincere votes.  For example, your Condorcet-Approval method
would lack a majority whenever Approval does, unless I misunderstand the
method.  The only way I know of to guarantee a majority of voters is to
prohibit truncation and then treat all choices as a YES -- even though
the voter disapproved of the lower choices and used random-fill to
complete the ballot.  If you are going to add random votes to the
totals, why not eliminate the uncertainty and just add a fixed amount to
each total, and "decree" a majority?  I doubt that Approval would fail
to yield a majority very often, but when it does I think the problem
lies with the candidates and not with the method.

Regards,
Bart