What about a meta election?

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Sat Oct 3 23:02:28 PDT 1998

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, Charles Fiterman wrote:

> There are various things we use to judge election methods. They are often
> mutually
>
> exclusive or at least pull in different ways. A system that picks the
> most popular
>
> candidate and a system that excludes the most unpopular candidate will
> give very different answers.
>

> Much of our disagreement comes from not agreeing on what we are trying to
> achieve.
>
> This suggests a meta election in which various system goals are voted on
> and ranked. Ideally the meta election would be a web site and voted on by
> more than the people in our group.

EM debated method standards for a while, before voting on our
recommendation to ER. At that time there was pretty good agreement.
Recent experience with Don, Blake, & Bart doesn't justify much
optimism about such a public discussion. That's why I recommend
against rank-balloting as a public proposal.

> Once we know what we are trying to achieve and in what order of priority
> these discussions will make more sense.

But we already know the different standards of Don, Blake, me
& some others. There's no way to resolve wholly different standards,
since there's no other standard by which to compare them.

I'd better send this now while I still can. May later reply
to the rest.

Mike