Oregon's Ballot Under Criticism (FWD)

Bart Ingles bartman at netgate.net
Sat Oct 3 12:16:58 PDT 1998

I note that according to the following article, it is too easy to get an
initiative on the ballot with petition requirements of "6 to 8 percent
of the voter turnout".  This shows why petition requirements alone
cannot be relied on to prevent weak or unknown candidates from winning
an election whenever the other factions are evenly balanced.  Favoring a
compromise is fine up to a point, but not when it means giving the
election to an unknown who was able to buy his way onto the ballot.