Approval equilibrium. Pushover strategy.

David Marsay djmarsay at dera.gov.uk
Fri Oct 9 04:31:18 PDT 1998

> From:          Mike Ositoff <ntk at netcom.com>
> Subject:       Approval equilibrium. Pushover strategy.

The earliest and perhaps still the most important attribute of voting
is that one should be able to dispose of tyrants - or other
undesirables.

Approval voting is good from this point of view: if the main aim of
the majority of voters is to depose a tyrant, they should approve of
all other candidates. For AV, they simply rank the tyrant last.

For FPP the tyrant could arrange for many candidates to split the
votes against, relying on a small minority that gain advantage from
her(!) rule. This doesn't work in AV because the votes are
re-distributed as small candidates are eliminated.

In approval, voters who like the tyrant may selectively approve of
other candidates. Hence the majority may vote to depose the tyrant,
but the tyrant may choose who replaces her. (For comment!)