Revealing the Majority Winner

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Sat Nov 14 10:19:37 PST 1998

Mr. Ingles wrote in part-

How about this -- suppose we allow the voters to rate candidates on a
scale, rather than just rank them.  Higher score means more highly
favored.  The same election could come out a couple of different ways (I
hope you are using a fixed font):

Rating: 100    80    60    40    20    0
45       A  B                          C
15       B                          C  A
40       C  B                          A

  -or-

45       A                          B  C
15       B  C                          A
40       C                          B  A

Neither IRO nor Condorcet can distinguish between the two cases.

I think it would be a mistake to pretend these voter preferences don't
exist, just because relative ranking doesn't measure them.  After a
(ranked) Condorcet election where voters' real preferences are like the
second example, imagine the backlash when some enterprising pollster
reports that when asked to rate the candidates on a 100-point scale,
voters gave the winner a median rating of 10, while one of the losers
had a median score of 90!  (Highest median score -- now there's a
method.  :-)
-----
D-  Another example of why I suggest a YES/NO vote on choices (along with
number votes).   Scale rankings are +100 percent to -100 percent (or the more
common 100 to 0).    A majority YES vote means a majority of the voters rank
the choice above zero (or the more common above 50).

Only B in the top example and C in the bottom example would appear to be
getting above 50 acceptability.