Electoral Commission & IRO

David Catchpole s349436 at student.uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 5 22:24:36 PST 1998

> > It is actually possible to have a "majority" parliamentary system which is
> > still more representative. It involves having a vote at large to decide
> > the "winning party" and then to make the votes responsible for its
> > majority count only for it and its allies. By now, basically everyone will
> > be gasping their chests and cursing me for even daring to suggest a
> > not-really-proportional system. I know it's wicked, but it might just
> > work, especially in countries where preferences do not necessarilly
>
> I'm not clear what you are suggesting. I am also not sure about PR in
> general.  I understand  concerns that strict PR would lead to
> weak governments.

For "top-up" or at-large proportional systems, using a "qualification for
majority." Parties would register their allies (e.g. acceptable coalition
partners) and votes would be considered at-large to determine the winners.
Votes which went towards the winners' victory would count only for the
winner and its allies in the "top-up" stage (This top-up stage could be a
remainder-STV system, which took losing or non-effective votes from the
constituencies).