Simpler 1CC substitutes

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Sat Nov 14 23:41:52 PST 1998

A simpler defensive strategy criterion (I'll call it "DSC"):

A group consisting of a majority of all the voters, who all
vote a certain particular candidate A over a certain particular
candidate B, should have a way of voting that will ensure that
B can't win. That accomplishment shouldn't require any members
of that group to vote a less-liked alternative over a more-liked
one.

LO2E-2:

Replaced the last sentence with: "That accomplishment shouldn't
require any members of that group to vote A over a more-liked
alternative.

***

These are the weak forms of these criteria. The strong forms
are gotten by replacing "over a more-liked alternative" with
"equal to or over a more-liked alternative".

***

These criteria, unless they have a problem that I haven't found,
serve the purpose that 1CC was intended for, to provide a
(hopefully) precise y/n test based on certain methods' failings
that we're all familiar with.

The reason for saying "certain particular candidate" is
that someone once criticized these criteria under the mistaken
impression that they refer to blanket goals rather than
goals regarding particular candidates. It isn't claimed that
every majority can simultaneously accomplish what the criteria
describe, with different B candidates.

***

Mike Ossipoff