Schulze strictly meets strong 1st Choice Criterion

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Mon Nov 9 00:24:44 PST 1998

Schule's method strictly meets the strong 1st Choice Criterion,
because the way that VA methods can fail it involve subcycle
fratricide, and Schulze's method isn't subject to subcycle
fratricide.

I must add, though, that, since that criterion, as I defined it,
is about protecting a CW, not a subcycle, what happens to
a natural subcycle isn't relevant to the criterion. So the
only way Condorcet(EM) or its Smith version could fail
strong 1st Choice is if it isn't a natural subcycle. It would
have to be the result of insincere voting. The order-reversal
strategists would also have to engineer a fratricidal subcycle
that includes the CW in order to cause Condorcet(EM) to fail
that criterion. That's why I say that all the VA methods meet
that criterion for all practical purposes.

Mike