Condocet Versions--some equivalent?

Norman Petry npetry at sk.sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 6 09:39:05 PDT 1998

Mike,

You wrote:

>All 4 of those procedures can't deal with a subcycle example
>in which one member of the subcycle is winner with respect to
>all non-subcycle alternatives, but not within the subcycle.
>
>A subcycle  rule or tiebreaker needed.

Since one of the 4 methods you're referring to is Schulze, I'll take it up
from that point of view.  I assume the problem you're referring to here is
what occurs when there's no Condorcet winner among the beat-path wins.  If
so, in describing what Markus then referred to as Tideman (what we're now
calling the Schulze method), he proposed the following ("Re: Condorcet
sub-cycle rule", 3 Oct 1997):

>If there is no unique candidate, who defeats every other
>candidate via a beat path, then the Schwartz set of
>the beat-path-defeats is calculated, those candidates,
>who are not in this Schwartz set, are eliminated and
>the algorithm is re-started with the remaining candidates.

How does this compare with your approach?  I've been meaning to write to
Markus for more information on the merits of this particular tiebreaker, so
if this is the problem you're addressing with your subcycle rule, I'm very
interested!

An example of the problem would be helpful.

Norm Petry