House-Monotonicity Problem in Ranked STV -- an Example

Mike Ositoff ntk at netcom.com
Mon Aug 3 22:19:45 PDT 1998

Yes, it hadn't even occurred to me, the idea of doing STV the
way one would when there's a vacancy, so that the seated
(listed, in this case) winners are simply skipped for elimination.

That way certainly makes sense, and does seem more STV-like than
using 1st choice vote totals, or rank-counting, to choose which
new STV winner gets the Nth seat, after an ordinary STV count.

Of course I guess no such solution is available, in Rank STV(MO),
when N is equal to or less than the current number of seats, and
so the priority goes to the N new winners, and it's unavoidable
to have to order them for addition to the list--I agree that
1st choice vote totals is good, and that more elaborate methods
aren't justified under the circumstances.

***

Anyway, I don't argue for Rank STV(MO) vs Rank STV(NP). Quite so--
either would surely work fine, and, in most organizations, the
simpler one likely would have a better chance of adoption.

***

Mike Ossipoff