Tideman Problem

Norman Petry npetry at sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 3 18:53:25 PDT 1998

Mike,

Thanks for your replies concerning Tideman.  The problem you identified with
his method in your example certainly does indicate that his procedure is
irrational to some extent.  You wrote:

>Also, I forgot to tell what I don't like about Tideman's
>reason for electing B instead of C in that example:
>
>C loses to B for no other reason than because A & D lose to B.
>
>Because the cycle in which B wins is the cycle with the biggest
>defeats, the cycle of the biggest losers, that means that
>B wins for sure, since its only defeat, the one in that
>big-losers' cycle has been skipped.

I agree.  However, for this to be a serious problem with the method, we
would need to know how likely such a result would be in practice and/or how
difficult it would be for insincere voters to manipulate outcomes by
exploiting this weakness.  A better test of Tideman would be to see if it
violates any important criteria (for example, could the defect you
identified lead to non-compliance with GMC?).

Your bad example just gave me an idea though -- what would happen if we
turned Tideman on it's (his?) head to create a "Reverse-Tideman"?  By this I
mean: basically, Tideman's method is to begin with the strongest
propositions and ignore contradictions.  Your example shows that this might
result in an important, strong proposition being ignored.  What would happen
if we instead started with the weakest propositions, and reversed our
earlier judgements as often as necessary as we worked our way up to the
strongest?  That might break your bad example, and we might not need to
resort to the "Improved Tideman" which needs to backtrack over the
previously skipped propositions to be (potentially) as good as Schulze.

It's just a thought... I haven't even tried one example with such a method,
though, so it's probably complete nonsense!

I'll look into it.

Norm Petry