Exaggerated opinions

David Marsay djmarsay at dra.hmg.gb
Wed Apr 29 09:44:01 PDT 1998

Dear Markus,

> you wrote (29 Apr 1998):
> > I like what I call the 'maxpath' method for Dodgson.
>> <SNIP>.
>
> I like that method. As far as I remember correctly, I have proposed a
> similar method on 10 Okt 1997.

We were both beaten to it - or something very like it - by Tideman, I
think.

>If you meant that method, when you talked
> about the "Dodgson method", then I have to agree with your opinion.
>
> Is it possible, that Condorcet=Dodgson in the UK?

I can only speak for myself. There seem to be very many
interpretations of Condorcet. I believe that Dodgson is as least as
good a candidate as any. From memory, I think I have an article that
I interpreted as showing that Dodgson = Kemeney, and another
showing that Kemeney = an interpretation of Condorcet. I am not sure
of the nationality of the authors!

I think that some variation of Condorcet is the 'natural' method for
ranking, with complexity being its only real draw-back. I acknowledge
that there are some seemingly desirable properties that it does not
have, but believe that there are slight relaxations that it does
have, and that on the whole these supposedly desirable properties are
inconsistent with what I regard to be more important desirable
properties.

Unfortunately, as soon as I try to prove the above I get bogged down
in logic spaghetti. I am aiming for at least a sketch of a proof that
one might be able to find people to review!

Thanks for your interest.