Exaggerated opinions

Markus Schulze schulze at sol.physik.tu-berlin.de
Wed Apr 29 03:02:32 PDT 1998

Dear David,

you wrote (29 Apr 1998):
> I like what I call the 'maxpath' method for Dodgson. Create a
> graph whose nodes are the options. Join pairs of nodes with directed
> lines indicating the pair-wise majorities and their size. Now, a
> directed sequence of directed lines starting at one node and ending
> at another is a directed path. The 'force' of the path is the
> smallest majority along the path. For each directed pair the
> 'path-majority' is the maximum force along any path from the start
> to the end, less the maximum force in the opposite direction.
>
> The maxpath winners (maybe 1) each have a path majority over
> every non maxpath-winner, and are maxpath drawn/tied.

I like that method. As far as I remember correctly, I have proposed a
similar method on 10 Okt 1997. If you meant that method, when you talked
about the "Dodgson method", then I have to agree with your opinion.

Is it possible, that Condorcet=Dodgson in the UK?

Originally, the Dodgson method looks as follows:
1) Eliminate all those candidates, who are not in the Smith set.
2) Declare that candidate elected, who needs fewest
   changes in adjacent preferences to become a Condorcet winner.

Markus