Exaggerated opinions

David Marsay djmarsay at dra.hmg.gb
Tue Apr 21 07:29:29 PDT 1998

A response to:

> From:          Saari <Saari at aol.com>
> Date:          Sat, 18 Apr 1998 21:31:04 EDT
> Subject:       Exaggerated opinions

Mike disagrees with:

> << What do you mean with "acceptable" or "violently opposed". To my opinion,
>  you should always remember, that every voting method, that uses absolute
>  preferences, is vulnerable to exaggeration. >>

I for one would always give my preferred option the highest rating
even if I thought that the issue affected some other voters more.
It seems to me that voters like me will affect the outcome more than
those who take account of their strength of preference.

> Example#2.  This is a method I'm exploring right now.  Same system as above,
> but suppose that double-votes, triple-votes, etc. are also allowed.  But there
> is a cost.  A double-vote costs $1 for each instance.  A triple-vote costs
> $10.  A quadruple-vote costs $100.  All money collected goes into a common
> pool which is routinely split evenly among all of the participants.

I hope we are not talking real money here! I would not vote for such
a scheme.

My view is that we might have ballots with terms like 'strongly
support', 'weakly support', ... that appear to describe absolute
ratings, but that we should treat them as relative preferences.
If everyone is like me then it makes no difference. It prevents
honest voters from being disadvantaged. An alternative would be to
treat them as absolute ratings but to suggest to voters that they
should exaggerate their ratings, unless they really don't mind their
votes being relatively ineffective.

It seems to me there ought to be some reasonable scheme that could be
used instead of first-past-the-post, but it might need to be
described differently to attract the support of different
electorates. I would use Condorcet to derive a median ranking.

Cheers.