Proportional representation

STEFAN LINTL stefan at s02oeh1.oeh.univie.ac.at
Wed Oct 29 19:37:34 PST 1997

> > Can some one point me in
> > the direction of any relavent literature on the subject,predomanitly
> > Australian but example of other countries will be much appreciated.
> > Anyone have an opinon on the subject?
> >
> > Thanking You
> >
> > Travis Schilling

 Hallo Travis,

 in case you happen to speak German, I strongly recommend the books of
 Dieter Nohlen on the subject; the mathematical aspects are neither
 treated too strong or too well, but the interaction of electoral
 system, party system and other components of the political system are
 being investigated into quite deeply.

 Personally, as we currently do have some disputes again in Austria
 about a change to an electoral system manufacturing majorities, I am
 deeply committed to exact proportional representation
 (Hare-Niemeyer), as used for the election of the Volkskammer 1990 in
 the GDR. Imho the role of the parlamentarian (as it ought to be) was
 best described by J.St. Mill in the Considerations on Representative
 Government.

 Grtnx, Stefan