Preference Voting Challenge

DEMOREP1 at aol.com DEMOREP1 at aol.com
Thu May 29 18:18:26 PDT 1997

Mr. Saari was not active on the list when there was major discussion in Jan.,
1996- Feb. 1997 about certain types of possible results if Condorcet rankings
(1, 2, 3, etc.) were only to be used for voting.

I note again that there is a plus 100 percent to minus 100 percent range for
ranking candidates.

However, there are major difficulties in using such percentages due to the
tendancy to rank the candidates at the extremes (plus 100 percent or minus
100 percent).
Note the possibilities if there are just 3 voters.

My suggested solution is to have both a yes/no vote on each candidate and a
ranking vote (1, 2, 3, etc.).

Only candidates that get a majority of yes votes would go on to be compared
head to head using the ranking votes.  (If a voter does not vote yes or no on
a candidate, then the candidate would get a 0.5  yes vote.)

Thus in Mr. Saari's example--
V= Voter, Y= yes, N= No
             A          B           C
V1         Y          Y           Y
V2         Y          Y           N
V3         Y           N          N
V4         N          N           N
             3Y        2Y          1Y
Only A has a Yes majority so he/she would be elected.