Preference Voting Challenge

Saari at aol.com Saari at aol.com
Tue May 27 18:29:06 PDT 1997

There are those who feel that Preference Voting (A > B > C) is a good way to
go (although there is disagreement as how best to score such votes).

I ask any such proponents to address the following conundrum:

Consider 4 voters, with the following opinions.

Voter 1 likes all three candidates, but considers A superior and B
second-best.

Voter 2 likes A and B (A slightly better) and thinks C is awful.

Voter 3 likes A, thinks B is quite poor, and thinks C is abysmal.

Voter 4 dislikes all three choices.  A is bad, B is worse, C is horrible.

Under Preference Voting, ALL FOUR VOTERS WILL CAST AN IDENTICAL VOTE -
A > B > C
Yet it would be improper to suggest that all four voters have the same views.

Why does it make sense to support a voting system which lumps such disparate
opinions into the same vote?  Any scoring system can only use the data
provided to it - how can we possibly expect a good result if the input data
is insufficient?

Any/all replies welcome.

Mike Saari