[SAARI FAQ] - Intensity Voting

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Sun Mar 30 06:29:46 PST 1997

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - March 30 1997
Dear list,

DEMOREP1 wrote:>
>Thus, the tendency would seem to be to vote at the extremes, +100 or -100
>especially in close races.

Donald writes: Yes - and this would be the same as One Person One Vote.
Even with my forced average of 10.0000 the lawmakers might end up voting at
the average every time - which would also be the same as One Person One
Vote.

     I have always felt that if the math was correct the people would
respond and the system would work - so let me change the math. I now change
the range from one to thirty but I am keeping the average at ten. Now the
lawmakers may still vote at the average all the time, but some will think
that they may like to use the thirty sometime when it may be important - so
they save some intensity for that day.

     BUT! so will the others - and when that day comes we may find that
every lawmaker is voting at thirty - we are back to the same as One Person
one Vote.

     I am thinking that One Person One Vote is not bad.

     Another point: Having an average balances the votes, but I do not feel
right about taking intensity from one vote to be used on another vote. I
have always felt that each measure should stand or fall on its own
intensity.

yours,

Donald Eric Davison of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald