Donaldshock (was Re: First Choices tiebreaker)

Rob Lanphier robla at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 22 23:16:53 PST 1997

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Steve Eppley wrote:
> Mike O is probably right about the negative utility of Demorep and
> Donald repeatedly reposting the same rebutted assertions without
> their attempting to rebut the rebuttals, a behavior which I call
> Disorderly Discussion.  Perhaps those of us who don't expect them to
> make a net positive contribution should start a new maillist without
> them, as long as Rob L is inclined to keep the EM list open to junk
> email but is unwilling to lend a hand rebutting junk.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and
fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to
be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."
  - US Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

My apologies for not keeping up with the list.  I can't.  Though I get
plenty annoyed when I see Donald post obnoxious remarks, I hardly lose
sleep over it.  Life goes on.

I'm not going to kick someone off for "disorderly discussion".  Write a
FAQ, post it regularly and make it easily available, and then you can cut
and paste your rebuttal "see question #4 of the EM-FAQ".  Ta-dah!

I also invite you to start a moderated list.  I would love to be on it,
I'd gladly point to it from my website, and I might even offer to archive
it.  I think there is a value to having both and unmoderated and a
moderated list.
---
Rob Lanphier
robla at eskimo.com