Voting

Tom Round TomR at orgo.cad.gu.edu.au
Wed Jan 29 17:27:50 PST 1997

Hello all,

Pursuant to the promise in my posting of last Friday, I have checked my
electoral pocketbook from the Australian Electoral Commission. The
information I provided about nomination/ ballot access rules in Australia
was substantially correct save and except that parties cannot directly
nominate candidates (unlike, say, West Germany where a nomination needs
either - I think - a petitition signed by 200 voters, or the endorsement of
a registered political party).

Where I got mixed up was that _normally_ H of Reps candidates submit their
nomination papers to the returning officer for their particular electorate;
however,  the "registered officer" (eg, Secretary) of a registered party may
submit in bulk, to the state returning officer, the nomination forms of all
the party's candidates in that state. This got fused in my mind somehow with
the German provision.

On another note, I saw in today's newspaper that Virginia has just passed a
bill to demote "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny" from official state song to a
kind of quasi-official anthem (much like "Waltzing Matilda" is here in
Australia. Incidentally, we chose our national song in 1977 via a
non-binding, multi-choice, preferential referendum - I'm looking for more
information about it.) The bill was opposed by two mutually antagonistic
blocs of legislators: (1) Black representatives who found the song offensive
(one verse has a freed slave pining for the days of life under his old
master) and wanted it scrapped entirely, and (2) conservatives who wanted it
kept as the official song because of its historic tradition. I wonder what
kind of voting cycles could have been generated by a clever political
strategist using those preference configurations!

Tom Round
Griffith University - Brisbane, Australia
tomr at orgo.cad.gu.edu.au

-------------------
Overflow-Cc: 100245.2440 at compuserve.com ('Geoff Powell'),
   afreeman at acslink.net.au ('Andrew Freeman'),
   bmusidla at email.dot.gov.au ('Bogey M'),
   c-p-r at netcom.com ('Citizens for Proportional Representation'),
   crabb.deane at pi.sa.gov.au ('Deane Crabb'),
   dunnmj at ozemail.com.au ('Martin Dunn'),
   GGoode at VTRLMEL1.TRL.OZ.AU (Goode, Geoff),
   j.pyke at qut.edu.au (John Pyke, QUT Law School),
   jhtaplin at cygnus.uwa.edu.au ('John Taplin'),
   lee at cs.mu.OZ.AU ('Lee Naish'),
   martinw at cse.unsw.edu.au ('Martin Willis'),