The Davison Standard

New Democracy donald at mich.com
Wed Jan 29 03:33:50 PST 1997

Dear List,

     I have constucted a standard that I can use to check all Other Methods
of single seat elections - new or old. I call it the Davison Standard.

The Davison Standard

     This standard uses ratios to remove the mathematical bias that all the
current Other Methods contain. Mathematical bias is the favor that the
lower candidates receive. The lower candidates of the first set of
preferences have more chances to receive additional support in the second
set of preferences. This bias will exists in any method that uses other
preferences to decide an election. This bias does not exist in Preference
Run-off.

     In this standard the sum of the next preferences of each candidate is
subject to a ratio. The ratio is different for each candidate. The ratio is
as follows: The votes of the lead candidate of the first preferencs is
divided by the difference between the total votes less the votes of a
candidate in the first column of preferences. For example:

                                                   Lead Votes(one)
Test of C is equal to C(0ne) plus C(two) times -------------------------
                                                Total Votes less C(one)

C(one) is the votes of candidate C from the first column of preferences.
C(two) is the votes of candidate C from the second column of preferences.
Lead votes(one) is the votes of the leading candidate in the first column.

     All candidates are tested using this math. The low candidate is
dropped and his votes are transferred. Then the testing is done again for
the remaining candidates. All values may have changed - we must use any new
values. We continue testing until we have one remaining candidate. This is
the standard to compare the other methods. If some new Other Method
produces the same final candidate then we can say that this new Other
Method meets the Davison Standard. But - Until the Other Method people have
something good on the drawing board, Preference Run-off is the method for
us to use in single seat elections.

     Oh Yes - I am now using the term Preference Run-off in place of
Instant Run-off.

Donald Eric Davison of New Democracy at http://www.mich.com/~donald