Mike's criticism of Bruce

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Jan 28 13:06:29 PST 1997

Mike O. accused Bruce A. of dishonesty.  I don't recall Bruce
making any serious factual errors, other than broken promises.
(In particular, the promise that he would defend Regular-Champion's
result in any scenario... he has been silent on its "rich party"
failure and its "truncation" failure scenarios).

To the best of my recollection, Bruce hasn't engaged in Disorderly
Discussion; he simply ceased claiming (in EM, at least) that
Regular-Champion is a better method than Smith//Condorcet.
If Mike is aware, however, that Bruce has continued to advocate
Regular-Champion in other forums without addressing the criticisms
posted in EM, I'd consider that a more significant allegation of
Disorderly Discussion, and with someone of Bruce's intellect
an indication of possible intellectual dishonesty.

I appreciate a number of the things Bruce has contributed.  My
favorite:  With a small modification of Arrow's "Independence
from Irrelevant Alternatives" axiom (i.e., the members of the Smith
set shall all be considered relevant), it's not impossible for
voting methods to satisfy all the modified-Arrow criteria.