(Fwd) RE: Ballot Access laws for ranked ballot

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon Feb 3 18:28:37 PST 1997

I received the message appended below from Tom Round last week, and
neglected to realize that Tom likely intended to send it to the EM
list and not just to me.

One thing I can't tell from Tom's message, and which I consider very
important, is whether a party in Australia can nominate more than
one candidate onto the ballot in single-winner elections.  This would
give more choices to the voters, and parties would have an interest
in nominating more than one if a good voting method (i.e., no spoiler
dilemma) were in use, since it would help the party win.

Since Australia uses Instant Runoff, this method's strong spoiler
dilemma would probably eliminate any interest by the parties in
nominating more than one, however.  If Australia changes to a better
method, they will want to reconsider their ballot access principles.

Should the number of candidates that a party may nominate for an
office depend on the number of votes the party received in recent
elections?

--Steve