Presidential returns via DEMOREP1

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 12 13:43:40 PST 1996

Donald D wrote:
-snip-
>What is interesting to me is that these election results would
>only need one run-off to produce a winner with a majority (in
>the popular vote).
-snip-

Those results were produced because the current voting method is
badly flawed.  Plurality's spoiler dilemma kept most potential
candidates from running, and induced most voters to vote for one
of the two main candidates (to block the greater evil).  So don't
assume the results would be similar with a good voting method.

The new method you describe--let voters pick two choices--would be
better than "vote for one" but not nearly as good as "rank as many
as you want."