Tie-breakers

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 6 21:10:54 PST 1996

Bruce A wrote:

>>> if there are no candidates that are capable of winning in
>>> this manner, then EC should select all of the candidates
>>> running in the election as its winners.

>> But that complicates the definition of the function, and for
>> what gain?  The electoral college is deadlocked and moot no
>> matter how the reformed states award their delegates.  So
>> why do you say "should"?

>In my "definitions document" a Single-winner Ranked-ballot Voting
>Method must always result in at least one winner.  This is a
>standard definitional criterion, and I do not choose to relax it.
-snip-

This doesn't appear to me to be a good enough reason to change
the ec reform proposal.  Plenty of other methods also won't meet
this "narrow" definition, such as allowing voters to insert a
"None of the Rest" choice in their rankings.  I think the onus
is on academics to model real proposals, rather than on reformers
to make things simpler for academics.

This is a small enough addition to the proposal that maybe I
shouldn't be too concerned with the added complexity.  More
significant is the case where exactly one candidate is capable
of winning nationally: the simple ec reform proposal will elect
this candidate, but the reformed states might be happier to
let the House pick the winner in some circumstances.