US election info?

Tom Round TomR at orgo.cad.gu.edu.au
Thu Nov 21 23:29:47 PST 1996

Colleagues,

I'm looking for some news about two particular results from
the recent US elections.

Q.1  Did Sonny Bono retain his Congressional seat in
     California?

Q.2  Did San Francisco's STV proportional representation
     referendum pass?

I haven't seen either result mentioned in the Australian media
 - although I assume that if Congressman Bono did lose his
seat, that would have rated a line or two down here.

(As recently as a decade ago, magazines like "TIME" gave
excellent in-depth coverage of US politics. But now these have
mutated into "Australian editions" which reduce the US detail
in order to include more local content - content that one
could easily have picked up via a dozen other magazines,
newspapers or television programs ... Oh well.)

Awaiting some news,
Tom Round
tomr at orgo.cad.gu.edu.au

-------------------
Overflow-Cc: 100245.2440 at compuserve.com ('Geoff Powell'),
   afreeman at acslink.net.au ('Andrew Freeman'),
   bmusidla at email.dot.gov.au ('Bogey M'),
   c-p-r at netcom.com ('Citizens for Proportional Representation'),
   crabb.deane at pi.sa.gov.au ('Deane Crabb'),
   dunnmj at ozemail.com.au ('Martin Dunn'),
   GGoode at VTRLMEL1.TRL.OZ.AU (Goode, Geoff),
   j.pyke at qut.edu.au (John Pyke, QUT Law School),
   jhtaplin at cygnus.uwa.edu.au ('John Taplin'),
   lee at cs.mu.OZ.AU ('Lee Naish'),
   martinw at cse.unsw.edu.au ('Martin Willis'),