methods proposed to sw Committee

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Mon May 27 19:36:58 PDT 1996

Rob L wrote:
>Groups don't write things; individuals do.  Groups talk about
>writing things, but ultimately, someone has to sit down and write
>the silly thing.

Empirically, groups don't write.  This doesn't mean groups
can't write.  I think it's really a matter of commitment, a
willingness to share the burden instead of free-ride.

Ultimately, someone has to sit down and edit the participants'
contributions into a sensible whole; if the contributors adopt a
style to make the editing chore easier then so much the better.

We have a lengthy list of standards.  We have a couple of outlines
drafted before we thought of the standards-based format, and the
methods-based format in one of the outlines could be easily
replicated: one instance per standard.  We have Mike's paper,
several months of email, and other resources.  Do we also have
the will to produce a good document?