Attachment CRITTBL1

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Mon May 27 00:20:12 PDT 1996

[Mike writes: I have just proposed a vote in which EM members
would rank the proposed methods according to their desirability
as public proposals, for the purpose of presenting those rankings
& their results, by the various count rules, to ER. So why does
Bruce pick this time to post this article about the academic
criteria to this list. He didn't answer my postings, earlier,
when I replied about those criteria.

We've been discussing the relative merits of methods. I've
asked Bruce questions on this list, with regard to that issue,
and he hasn't replied to them. Instead he post an article
naming the academic criteria and which methods meet them,
with no reply to my comments about those criteria. Bruce
once objected to people "talking past eachother". But isn't
that what he's doing when his postings don't answer the
questions I've asked him, or comment on the statements I
have made here, regarding Condorcet vs Coplannd? And when
he posts his article on academic criteria, with no comment
about the significance of meeting or not meeting those
criteria.

He commented on that when he first posted his Condorcet criticisms
article to Steve & Rob L., but I replied to that. I'm not so much
asking Bruce to reply to my comments about the importance of the
academic criteria, or to my comments regarding the relative
merits of Condorcet & Copeland--I'm merely pointing out that

I suggest that we can discuss Bruce's pre-written postings if
we wish, but we shoud NOT let that delay our vote on the
methods now. You might say "Shouldn't discussion precede
voting?" Sure, but if we let anyone persuade us to wade into
the tar-pit that is academic voting systems discussion, I
guarantee that we'll never accomplish our goal. The academics
have been at it for many years, and they're no closer now
to anything that could be called progress than they were
decades ago. Their discussion just isn't oriented toward
practical results. The lesser-of-2-evils standard, so important
to voters, is studiously ignored by the academics. Bruce
said that he doesn't consider it important. If Bruce doesn't
consider important the problem that so many voters are
dominated by, the problem that led us to want single-winner
reform, then should Bruce be able to stop our vote at this
time, with discussion of other criteria. Filibuster?

I realize the importance of politeness, civility, & not criticizing
people on the list. And so I want to emphasize that I'm saying
this in an objective way, not angrily or intending to criticize:

Suppose that someone wanted to prevent progress in EM's goal
of making a recommendation to ER. Suppose one strategem for
that goal was to post academic discussion guaranteed not to lead
to progress toward EM's goals. A strategically advisable time
to post such material would be just when a vote is called for,
to tangle the list into the endless academic discussion. Sure,
maybe it's  just coincidence that that's when Bruce posted
his article. I'm just mentioning that possible explanation.

***

Excuse me if some lines are displaced in this reply. Replying
to some formats, using an edited copy, can do that.

I've just realized that I'm only making a few comments,and that
there are long passages of the copied article that I'm not
replying to, and so I should reply in a separate posting,without
including a copy of the article to which I'm replying.

So no replies have been added to the following part of Bruce's
letter. I included the copy because I thought I'd use the
edited-copy reply format, but I'm going to reply in a separate
posting.

Mike