Condorcet(x( ))

Steve Eppley seppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri May 24 09:18:56 PDT 1996

Lucien wrote:
[snip]
>          This winter, I have modified my computer voting
>and tallying system to incorporate two features:
[snip]
>          When tallying the ballots, the program adds half
>a vote to each candidate of the tied pairs.
[snip]

That's not Condorcet's method according to Mike Ossipoff's proposal,
and based on the discussion in EM in recent days I think he's right
not to tally .5 against each of the tied pairs.

You may or may not have implemented Condorcet(.5), depending on how
you resolve circular ties.  How do you calculate the size of each
candidate's worst defeat?  By "margin of difference" (not Condorcet)
or by "votes for the pairwinner" (Condorcet)?

Would you consider implementing Condorcet(0), where nothing is
tallied against the tied pairs, in your webpage?

--Steve