[EM] standard: right to have preferences counted

Mike Ossipoff dfb at bbs.cruzio.com
Fri Mar 22 09:38:58 PST 1996

I'd like to add another standard to the others that I've proposed:

The right to have counted the preferences that one chooses to vote.

That brings the standards I've proposed to 4:

1. Majority rule (the right of a majority to get what it agrees on,
   without devious strategy, preferably without any strategy)

2. The right to freedom from need of defensive strategy

3. Lesser-of-2-evils problem

4. The right to have counted the preferences that one chooses to vote.

Admittedly these standards are all re-statements of eachother. But
it'w worthwhile for me to propose them all for inclusion, since different
ones might appeal more to different people.

#2 might seem identical to #1, but the emphasis is different. #2
emphasizes an individual voter's right, while #1 emphasizes majority
rule, and defines in a more general way than the familiar 1st place
majority.

Though I've posted my 1st 3 standards before, this is the form in
which I now want to propose them, along with that 4th one.

***

Mike Ossipoff