Reply to Hugh Tobin's letter of 12/08/96

donald at mich.com donald at mich.com
Mon Dec 9 06:13:00 PST 1996

Greetings to Methods list,

Hugh Tobin wrote:>
>In the case of an executive office, leaving the position vacant is not
>an option; the buck must stop somewhere.  "Status quo" means the incumbent
>wins.

Donald writes: If no candidate receives a majority - do not panic - there
is time between the election and the date of taking office for us to call
for a "Follow-up Election".

Hugh Tobin wrote: >The alternative should be that the legislative body
chooses the executive.

Donald writes: No No No - that would be like the parlimentary form of
government - let us keep a seperation between the branches of government.

Hugh Tobin wrote: > For judicial races the option of appointment by the
>governor should probably be added or substituted, so as to avoid excess
>caseloads, or deadlocks due to an even number on a supreme court.

Donald writes: I would ask you to consider having an even number on the
Supreme Court at all times. Any small body should be an even number because
it is not acceptable to have a measure pass by the vote of only one person.
If there is a vacancy on the body the measure must still pass by the same
even number that is the majority of the full body.

Hugh Tobin wrote: >
>I do not think "hold a new election soon" should be on the ballot,

Donald Writes: Having a request for a new election on the ballot is new to
me - I'll think on it some more. But if we have the rule that a candidate
must win by a majority (a majority of a share or quota in the case of multi
seat elections) that should raise the call for a "Follow-up Election" in
the event no candidate has a majority in a certain race - without the need
of a request on the ballot.

Hugh Tobin wrote: >
>this plays into the hands of well-organized or well-funded extremists or
>special interests who can do a better job of getting out the vote in a
>later special election with smaller turnout, after the general
>electorate has tired of the process.

Donald writes: What you say here also applies to the primary election held
before the general election.

Hugh Tobin wrote: >
>To expect the average voter to come back to the polls to vote
>again in a single race after the general election, is too much.

Donald writes: I disagree. In the first place these "Follow-up Elections"
will be rare. Most single seat elections will produce a winner with a
majority. In the second place the fact that the voters did not elect any
candidate for this race with a majority will show their concern for this
race - also their interest will be increased because this fact of not
electing any candidate with a majority will attract new candidates into the
race in the "Follow-up Election". Having the general election and maybe the
rare time of having a "Follow-up Election" will be less boring to the
public than having the current primary election plus the general election
plus we still have the rare times of some race not having a candidate with
a majority - and no acceptable solution.

Donald,